Tuesday, October 15, 2013

PUMPKIN SPICE CAKE DONUTS

Hey there! Thanks for stoppin' by! I hope everyone's week is off to a lovely start. I am sharing a super good recipe that I tried recently today on the blog. Its no secret to my friends and family that I have a baking "problem". That is only second to my mason jar "problem". I had a family friend comment on that recently. I have at least 3 different types of mason jars, and I think I total at least 30 or 40. yeah I told you its a problem. Hey they're indestructible and can be used for just about anything!

I digress... Baking. Pumpkin Spice. Yes I've jumped on that band wagon along with everyone else. Though I AM probably the ONLY person in the world who doesn't like a Pumpkin Spice Latte (or a PSL for you Starbucks-ites). Yeah. I'm coming clean. It tastes like armpits smell to me. Don't ask me why I think that. I'm now entering into the PSL witness protection program.

The below recipe that I tested is from king Arthur. They have the best recipes. We have one of their cookbooks and use their flower as much as we can. ( I did not this time because target had a sale on their 48,000 LB bag of flower this past week). I also did not follow the recipe perfectly. If you like Walter White level perfection in baking and cooking recipes then you have come to the wrong place, Darlin' because I use what I have and bake on the fly. For example, I couldn't locate the half jar of coconut oil (which I usually use to replace shortening or veg. oil in recipes) that I KNOW that I have somewhere, so I used olive oil. Relax, it doesn't show up once it's baked. I have used it several times in baking and I've never noticed it in the final product, (in the batter, yes), and neither has my super sensitive husband.

I also used a 15. something-ounce can of pumpkin puree instead of an exact 1.5 cups,  because I didn't want to waste, and it turned out just fine. Oh, and I also omitted the extra half cup of sugar because I have a sugar allergy- I use all natural organic sugar so it has a richer flavor. I am sure that you can even use only a half a cup of sugar if you wanted to because the pumpkin puree is sweet and the donuts are coated in sugar and cinnamon.

 I imagine they would taste amaze-fest if you subbed out sugar all together and used barley malt or brown rice syrup- you'd have to cut the amount of sweetner or puree or up the flour since both of those are liquid sweeteners. In fact- those two sweeteners are my absolute favorite for fall-time flavor combinations, and things like rich muffins or granola. Yumsies.


  • Here's what you'll need: 
  • Mixing Bowl
  • Spatula
  • Whisk or Large Spoon
  • Measuring Cups and spoons 
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée (canned pumpkin)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, or 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus heaping 1/4 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons 
1. Preheat oven to 350. Mix everything together in a mixing bowl except the flour. Once all other ingredients are combined, slowly add flour, stirring. 

Untitled

2. Spoon the batter into a donut pan and bake at 350* for 15-18 minutes. 

Untitled

3. Mix together about a cup total of sugar and cinnamon. (Use a ratio of your liking. I ADORE Pensy's Cinnamon so I used something like 4 T of cinnamon to 3/4 cup of sugar). Melt you up some butta (a whole stick for 12-15 donuts) 

Untitled

4. Let them cool until they can be handled, and aren't crumbly. Dip 'em in the buttah. 

Untitled

5. Dip 'em in the cinnamon sugar. Dip 'em real good. 

Untitled

6. You're welcome. 

Untitled

I loved loved this recipe, as I do ALL of King Arthur's recipes. I had 15 minutes until it was time to face-time with my family and I had time to take photos AND mix everything and pop them in the oven before it was time to talk. It was SO easy, and my husband appreciated that he only had to wash ONE bowl and a couple of measuring cups. (Especially since I made waffles this morning and it called for 3 separate bowls and 87 measuring spoons). I may be prone to hyperbole. It's an affliction. Also dishes is the hubby's thing, I promise I'm not a proponent of forced labor.  I also liked how forgiving it is to the many few changes I made to the ingredients. 

Okay, yea or nay to the Pumpkin Spice Trend? If so, whats you're fave thing? Make something fun to eat/share this week y'all! 



2 comments:

  1. I like pumpkin spice food, not drinks. My fav is a pumpkin spice snickerdoodle I made just adding pumpkin spice to the normal snickerdoodle dough. Yea....i am not admitting how many i ate. Thanks for the recipe :) I will make these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question Em - When substituting coconut oil for shorting, oil, or butter is it the same amount of coconut oil. Also about the barley or malt syrup, do you just go for the right consistence in the batter change fluid vs dry ingredients? Can you taste the barley or malt syrup? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS